Art and Design
Art and Design at Roscoe
At Roscoe Primary School, we believe that every child is an artist. We are driven to engage, inspire and challenge all our pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft, and design. As our children progress through the year groups, we introduce new and further develop existing skills and techniques we have explored. Children have opportunities to appreciate the work of varies artists, their artwork, and their different styles, it is through these opportunities, we instil a rigorous understanding of art and design within our pupils and encourage them to think critically to develop their understanding of the subject. Art and design work wonderfully in a cross-curricular approach, children are able to understand how the subject can be linked to other curriculum areas. Children are aware of how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity, and wealth of our nation.
Underpinning the curriculum at Roscoe Primary School are out curriculum drivers which are:
The Art and Design curriculum in our school, aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
At Roscoe Primary School, our art and design curriculum is written to be progressive in skill and knowledge content. Through this approach, children build upon their skills, language and knowledge as they move through the school. Pupils will be taught about significant artists and designers throughout history and will explore how each person’s interpretation of art can differ. The skills and techniques taught in our art curriculum are vast and covers a range of drawing, painting, design, mixed media, and sculptural work.
At Roscoe Primary school, our Art and Design curriculum is carefully planned to ensure a full coverage of the National Curriculum aims and objectives or both KS1 and KS2.
Key Stage 1 pupils will be taught:
- To use a range of materials creatively to design and make products.
- To use drawing, painting, and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination.
- To develop a wide range of art and design techniques in colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form, and space
- About the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
Key Stage 2 Children will be taught:
- Develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation, and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
- Create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas.
- Improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting, and sculpture with a range of materials (for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay)
- About great artists, architects, and designers in history.